Deep learning scientist/engineer with expertise in automated natural language processing. Extensive experience in designing adaptive, language-using applications and in directing research projects that study how humans and automated systems learn and use language.
- Senior Scientist/Engineer, CitizenNet, Los Angeles, CA, 2010 – present.
- Senior Research Scientist/Engineer, Fox Interactive Media, Los Angeles, CA, 2008 – 2010.
- Principal Computer Scientist, MetaLINCS, San Jose, CA, 2007
- Senior Scientist/Director of Research, H5 Technologies, San Francisco, CA, 2005 – 2007.
- Senior Engineer & Project Lead, Entrieva, Reston, VA, 2003 – 2005.
- Principal Scientist, Comprecorp, Nevada City, CA, 2001.
- Senior Engineer, Ask Jeeves, Emeryville, CA, 1999 – 2000.
Skills and research interests
Platforms, Languages, & Representative Applications. Java, C, C++, SAS, Python, Hadoop
Experiment-related skills. Extensive experience with all aspects of experimental psychology research, including background literature search, hypothesis development, and design of experiment, experimental control system, experimental protocols and appropriate statistical analyses (including relevant computer applications).
Research interests. Language processing and language acquisition in humans and connectionist networks, large scale cognitive systems, connectionist models of second-language acquisition and lexical acquisition/processing, effects of working memory and other aspects of the general cognitive system on language.
- Blackwell, A., Bates, E., & Fisher, D. (1996). The time course of grammaticality judgment. Language and Cognitive Processes, 11(4), 337-406.
- Blackwell, A.W. & Bates, E. (1995). Inducing agrammatic profiles in normals: Evidence for the selective vulnerability of morphology under cognitive resource limitation. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 7, 228-257.
- Blackwell, A.W. (1995) Artificial Languages/Virtual Brains. Unpublished dissertation.
- Ph.D., University of California, San Diego, 1995: Cognitive Science and Psychology.
- A.B., Brown University, 1987: Honors Cognitive Science and Honors Creative Writing.